Terror In Barcelona Leaves At Least A Dozen Dead And Scores Injured; Second Potential Attack Thwarted

Terror In Barcelona Leaves At Least A Dozen Dead And Scores Injured; Second Potential Attack Thwarted

Spain was repeatedly attacked on Thursday in what authorities called related terrorist incidents, when a driver diverted a van to the crowds in the historic district of Las Ramblas in Barcelona, killing more than a dozen injuring dozens of others.

At the beginning of Friday, there was an attack on a coastal city. The Islamic state has claimed violence in Barcelona.

The initial attack broke the peace of a warm summer afternoon in a hit and tourist area of Barcelona at the top of the holiday season, and the victims have reached far beyond the borders of the city.

Officials said 15 people were seriously injured and the death toll could rise. More than 100 people were injured, said Joaquim Forn, Interior Minister of the Catalan regional government.

Josep Lluis Trapero, a senior official of the Catalan police, told reporters that two men were arrested in connection with the attack, a Moroccan national and a Spanish citizen enclave of Melilla. The driver is still considered a great thing, he said.
On Friday morning, police said they thwarted what they thought was an attempted second attack connected in the Catalan town of Cambrils, 60 miles southwest of Barcelona, by defeating four suspects.

A fifth suspect died later of his wounds. Seven others were injured in the incident, including a police officer, police said. They did not offer more details.

An amateur video broadcast by ESPE Spain broadcasting state showed several police cars accelerated what appeared to be an oceanfront boulevard while people shouted, followed by a short flight of around 10 balls

A second video showed three bodies on the ground in front of the city’s yacht club.

The authorities then carried out controlled detonations of suspected explosives.

Spain had been spared a large-scale terrorist attack since the bombing of Madrid’s rail system in 2004 that killed 192 people and injured around 2000, but authorities have prepared a long time for another success.

The attack carried on Tuesday to Spain the same type of carnage vehicles visited Britain, France, Germany and Sweden since 2016 and has stressed the difficulty of defending dense urban violence that does not require explosives or training.

“Terrorists do not vaincreont a united people who loves the freedom of barbarism,” said Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy on Twitter as he rushed to Barcelona.

The Islamic State’s QAMA news agency said that “the people who ran the Barcelona attack were soldiers of the Islamic State and have this operation as a response to the calls to the coalition countries.” Spain is a member of a broad coalition led by the US struggle against the Islamic state.

It was not clear to what extent the Islamic state had worked with the aggressors. The group has previously been attributed rhetorical attacks inspired but not planned directly by the leaders of the Islamic State.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *